Your modem is one of the most delicate parts of your computer. Any electrical surge can cause it to malfunction or not work at all. It is especially susceptible to lightning. To fully protect your modem you need the Targus Notebook / Modem Surge Protector. It protects the phone line as well as your modem power supply and power supply for your computer. Otherwise you will need to make sure that both power and phone line are unplugged from the modem during a storm and when you are not using it. Most people don't know it, but phone line surges are more likely to cause damage than power line surges. Why? Your computer's power supply acts as a built in surge protector. Even if a surge gets through your regular surge protector, the power supply may be able to keep it from doing any damage , When we think of power surges, we tend to picture power line problems. Well, telephone wires can also carry a dangerous surge into your computer.
Features of the Targus Notebook / Modem Surge Protector:
- Ideal for point of sale devices, modems, computers, answering machines, cordless phones, fax machines, EFTPOS machines etc.
- RJ45 / RJ12 sockets by removable reducing adaptors
- Compact and light weight for travel.
Specifications of the Targus Notebook / Modem Surge Protector:
- Surge Protection: MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor)
- Typical Capacitance: 430pF
- Clamping Voltage: < 275Vrms
- Response Time: <20 nano seconds
- Energy Absorption for power line: 270 Joules
- Energy Absorption for phone line: 80 Joules
- New "insulated pin" style SAA power plug
- Voltage rating: 230~240Vac 50Hz
- Current: 10A (Max)
- Power rating: 240 Watt:
- Protection Mode: Active ? Neutral Earth
- Surge Current: 4,500 amp
- Protected telephone line RJ12/RJ45 x 2 sockets (in/out)
- DC strike voltage ? 380V phone
- One x 240 AC socket
Note: No surge protector will save your equipment from a direct lightning strike (contrary to some claims), so make sure you have backups of all your important data and keep them up to date.